Prep time: 2 1/2 hours - includes marinating time
Cooking time: approx 35 minutes
¼ c Pernod (or Ouzo)
¼ c olive oil
¼ c fresh orange juice
¼ c lemon juice
2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp each salt and black pepper
2 fennel bulbs (approx 400g)
2 chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs), skin on, bone in
1 large orange
2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
Fresh parsley and thyme to garnish
1. Put Pernod, oil, juice, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk together.
2. Trim the fennel bulbs and cut in half lengthways, then into wedges. Add this to the liquid along with the chicken, orange, thyme and fennel seeds, and stir to coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marinate.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat your Ironclad cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces to the pan, skin side down, and cook until browned. Turn chicken skin side up, then add marinade with fennel and oranges to the pan. Place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken juices run clear. (If you see the chicken colouring up too much, cover with tinfoil.)
4. Return pan to stovetop over a medium-high heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Baste chicken with the sauce.
5. Garnish with fresh parsley and thyme and serve immediately with roasted baby potatoes.