SPICED APPLE SCROLLS
Makes: 15 scrolls
Prep time: 45 minutes (includes rising time)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 c milk
1 Tbsp dried yeast
¼ c caster sugar
60 g butter, melted and slightly cooled
3 c flour
½ tsp salt
100 g butter, softened
½ c brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ c sultanas
1 apple, grated
¼ c caster sugar
3 Tbsp water
1. Heat milk in a saucepan over low heat until tepid. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over the top and gently whisk to combine. Set aside for about 5 minutes or until you notice activity in the pot. Add melted butter and stir.
2. Place flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour in milk mixture and, using a dough hook, mix and knead until smooth and elastic (if you don’t have a stand mixer, stir then knead on a lightly floured surface). Cover bowl with a clean teatowel and place in a warm place until doubled in size.
3. Dust a working surface with flour, and when the dough is risen, roll it out to approx. 40cm x 30cm rectangle. Spread softened butter over the dough, then sprinkle with a mix of sugar, spices and sultanas. Spread grated apple down the length of the dough. Roll the long side of the dough up tightly until you have a cylindrical pinwheel situation. Cut the log into 12 equal pieces.
4. Lightly grease your Ironclad pan with a little butter or brush with neutral oil. Place the pieces in the pan, cut side up/down. Cover again with a teatowel and leave to rise for a second time, about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place pan in the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until golden-brown on top. While the buns are cooking, boil sugar and water for 2-3 minutes for glaze. Brush this over the buns as soon as they come out of the oven.
6. Dust with icing sugar to serve.